Down With <$BlogRSDUrl$>

Down With

Current Champs
Baseball: Tait
Football: Tait
Down With Midget Sidekicks (Baseball) Standings Players Research & Analysis
Down With Yahoo! Group
Baseball Musings Baseball Blogs Fantasy Baseball Dugout

Tuesday, January 11, 2005


As mentioned previously 

This shouldn't be happening. But it is. Since Matt (whom I've met once, for either a 49ers-Cardinals game or a Rams-Cardinals game, there is some controversy... amongst myself atleast) and various people whom I have not met (that I know of) are doing it, why can't I? (I swear, that is not a hint [henceforth abbrev'd "ISTINAH"]. But see below. Also, while I'm being parenthetical [and when am I not?] I'll not that there's a lot of local arrogance displayed below... it's not intentional, really... I'm just easily bored.)

What follows after all this prelude are the lyrics to 25 songs I have on my computer, more specifically, ones which came up with shuffle on. Three artists were hit three times each (oddly no artists were hit exactly two times), in each case I kept only the first one. I also cut the instrumental. Two are not in English; I have provided translations and I’ll note that for one of them I only need the type of song it is. There is one cover, either artist will be acceptable; there also is one where there will be exactly 3 correct song/artist pairings. I'll, if it ever happens, do something to acknowledge which ones have been answered correctly.

This is the part where most people say no cheating... but I, honestly [ISTINAH, Matt] I don't care... I mean, it would be nice if somebody got something but what fun is there in ruining it for everyone else when you had to look it up? Just say "the line from #3 was bugging me so much I had to look it up and I love that song and am embarassed that I didn't get it without cheating." I use #3 as an example because you can't google those lyrics and get anywhere.

People often say that they delete obscure or deep album cuts... whereas doing that would cause this to disintegrate - it would leave me without a list. I mean that literally, from the 2,380 songs I have on my computer I seriously don't think I could pull 25 "hits" y'all would have a chance of getting. I always knew, well, no, that's not right - I might be wrong [ISTINAH] - there may be more radio material here than I think. Later on someone can comment upon that and I'll listen to what you say.

What I will do is give hints to the artists, songs, etc. represented here. This was planned to be ever only until I get sick of it (or all 25 are answered correctly [and the devil and I know that's not gonna happen]) I'll include discussion of the artists here (not exclusively, of course) and offer inexplicable links (yeah, I know... that's a fine line 'round here [ISTINAH] but it's the best I've got) and other such nonsense. It likely won't help as much as it may seem because they're likely not to be all that direct but I'm doing this to amuse myself anyway and it's not like you'll suffer that much anyway. And be patient, the end is not far away.


Here's the list (also, this is not a part one; it'll be a long, long time before I do this again. There may, however, be a plan b: I may come up with some better method of ending this nonsense) so come into our room and try me out [ISTINAH. Well, not a direct one]:
UPDATE: The answers can now be found after the 25 excerpts; scroll appropriately if you want to make your own guesses before seeing the song titles and artists.
  1. So it's all come back round to breaking apart again, Breaking apart like I'm made up of glass again.
  2. I don't need your criticisms, I don't want your idealisms, sick and tired of your empty promises.
  3. Cover your eyes, you don’t want to see love is wrong
  4. Je dis, hélas! que je réponds de moi; mais j'ai beau faire la vaillante, au fond du coeur, je meurs d'effroi! (I say, alas, that I have only myself to depend on; but I have tried in vain to be brave, at heart I'm dying of fright!)
  5. All these times that I thought that I loved you it was just an easy answer, it was make-believe.
  6. I'm succinct about this feeling but confused about remorse, for I loved you like a choir of worms progressing to a corpse.
  7. And say you’re my one and only, I’d wait my whole life for this, so please say you’ll stay tonight.
  8. But I never sat back feelin sorry for myself, If you don't give me heaven I'll raise hell, 'Til it's heaven, back at Wilson High, justify, I had two best friends, my thug, they live down the block, praying, till the school bus came, for you, and took my friends away, my thug. [gotten by ZD]
  9. And he held up two fingers and said "how many fingers?", and I said, "peace man, that's where it's at."
  10. Some times I should sacrifice, some times I don’t feel very nice, waited through your sage advice
  11. Now now the winter glows, Now now the winter glows, It's wonderful, it's wonderful with you.
  12. You are obscene and you know it, I run from me and it shows, That's what you like me for, huh, sister, Crawling now on the floor, do you like it, sister?
  13. Hey honey I feel, So good to be free, I've got a fever inside of my soul, I've got a fire in me.
  14. It's a possibility to live without lips, Kleenex love to fill right up with all the broken kids, I swore I drank your piss that night to see if I could live, But my wrists couldn't stand the light that we missed.
  15. The businessman whose master plan controls the world each day, Is blind to indications of his species' slow decay.
  16. Pleni sunt coeli et terra gloria tua (Heaven and earth are full of your glory)
  17. We got so drunk that night, we got so drunk that night, I hardly remember driving you home, or was I driving you away?
  18. Open up, and let me in – I wondered if I’d ever live, what can I see that makes him violent?
  19. Alone I'm outside, Red sky, I wait there, Snowfall above me, So new yet fading.
  20. And what do we do with ten baby shoes, a kit bag full of marbles and a broken billiard cue?
  21. Never accept it of me, to blend with their dead theory, For a valiant vocabulary, I know there is this need.
  22. Put on Sunday shoes, And dance cross[sic] the room to accordion keys, With the needle that sings in your heart.
  23. If I send for my baby, man, and she don't come, All the doctors in Hot Springs sure can't help her none.
  24. Choice words of correction, Makes no sense to me, No don’t lecture me.
  25. I feel something breathing down my neck, Thought of tomorrow's got me like a nervous wreck, No time for sorrow it's your judgment day.
UPDATE: 03/06/05: Y'all got 1 of 25. I'm so proud. Here are the answers (I'm not putting them right after the lyrics so others can play after the fact):
  1. Disintegration - the Cure
  2. What You Say - Suicide Machines
  3. Plan B - Colorstore (Phoenix local band)
  4. Je Dis Que Rien Ne M'epouvante - Carmen (Bizet)
  5. I Always Knew - Tilly and the Wall
  6. The Devil and I - J Church
  7. Every Only - Bella (Phoenix local band)
  8. Justify Mykel and Carli - Jay-Zeezer (mash of Mykel and Carli by Weezer and Justify My Thug by Jay-Z)
  9. Hat Shaped Hat - Ani DiFranco
  10. Part One - Budget Sinatra (Phoenix local band)
  11. Come Into Our Room - Clinic
  12. Mother - Babes in Toyland
  13. Lay Back in the Sun - Spiritualized
  14. I'm Still Your Fag - Broken Social Scene
  15. Suffer - Bad Religion
  16. Sanctus - Requiem in d (Mozart) though to answer this one you'd merely have had to point out that it was a line from any (fairly standard) Latin Mass.
  17. Iron On - Superchunk
  18. Spider - Detachment Kit
  19. Anderson, Mesa - Jimmy Eat World
  20. Odalisque - the Decemberists
  21. Local Arrogance 1994 - Huggy Bear
  22. Two Headed Boy - Mountain Goats (cover of a Neutral Milk Hotel song)
  23. 32-20 Blues - Robert Johnson
  24. A. S. A. to Accuracy - KaitO
  25. Not Far Away - Pennywise.

posted by mountmccabe  # 10:37 PM

Comments:
That is one of the correct answers. The other two are Jay-Z: Justify My Thug and the other is Jay-Zeezer: Justify Mykel and Carli.

Woohoo! We have a response!
 
Post a Comment

Archives

12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?